Monday, February 16, 2009

Diana, the paparazzi, and me

Hello,

I know this is silly, but it was kind of exciting yesterday to see not one, not two, but three celebrities and semi-celebrities in one day. The first was Christine Baranski - some of you may know her from Mamma Mia or from the old "Cybill" sitcom in which she played Cybill Shepherd's best friend. Christine and her husband were in line behind me at the movies - I was at the Paris Theater, the one right next to the Plaza Hotel, to see The Reader (really great, BTW). I chatted a bit with Christine and hubbie, who is also an actor, Matthew Cowles (soap-opera star).

Then as I was making my way downtown after the movie - a gorgeous sunny day, albeit a bit chilly - I was walking by Bryant Park when I realized it was Fashion Week. So I stopped near the entrance to one of the tents, where there was a flock of paparazzi. I joined the little crowd there just in time to see Julia Stiles come out of the tent and then, a few minutes later, Diana Ross, looking kinda fake and fabulous, but with incredible bearing. She didn't bat an eye or turn to pose as the paps yelled at her - the woman knows what becomes a legend most, as they used to say in the Blackglama ads.

Today, it was back to normal life, with a trip to Ikea to find some shelving. No paparazzi there, but the great thing is, all I have to do to get there is walk three blocks from my house and take a free shuttle. They also have a free ferry for people coming from Manhattan.

Make a comment, send an email, give a call - let me know what you're up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment