Sunday, March 1, 2009

Signs of the times

Sorry, folks, I'm an inconsistent diarist, partly because my home laptop died and I've just now gotten a new one. So I'm writing to you on my new red Dell XPS M1330 at a Starbucks on Montague Street in Brooklyn Heights - just doing my part to keep the economy moving.

Interesting thing about this nabe for a Seattleite is that there are very few places where you can find wi-fi connections. Two that I know of, and Starbucks requires a sub with ATT or - and this is a great loophole -- you have to buy a coffee card (even a $5 one will do) and you get two free hours of wi-fi per day as long as you use or refill the coffee card once a month. (Suzanne, take that laptop out for some air using this consumer tip from Rose.)

The headline on this post refers to signs I've seen and photographed around BK and Manhattan. The first one is from a bank in the neighborhood - a broken sign that kind of sums up the world of banking as many people see it these days. No aspersions cast on TD Bank - I'm sure they're perfectly respectable.

I heard from someone who works there that even American Express is getting bank bailout money. Odd.

The second picture is not really of a sign, but the sight of this Warholian sized soup can sitting out on Henry Street for trash pick-up certainly stopped me in my tracks on the way to work. It was in front of a church, and it's chicken noodle, for those of you searching for clues about it provenance.

The snow in the picture reminds me - that was from the last snowstorm of a month or so ago. There's another one on the way, with potential accumulation of 10 inches or so - though I doubt that will happen in the city.

In a while, I'm off to see Two Lovers, which takes place in BK but was filmed in New Jersey. So many illusions in life, as well as in the movies, including Joaquin Phoenix's recent odd behavior. My celeb following friends will know what I'm talking about.

Went for a walk yesterday across the Brooklyn Bridge - my third or fourth time doing that over the years. It never fails to amaze me. And it also surprises me every morning when I see it as I walk to work. Who would have thought a year ago I'd be living within walking distance of the Brooklyn Bridge?

Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment